Friday, June 14, 2013

Father's Day (a couple days early)

Wow folks!  We've managed to raise over $2000 so far for research on Multiple Sclerosis.   Help the Fight Against Multiple Sclerosis  Thank you so much for your remarkable support, and please keep spreading the word!

So Sunday is Father's Day.  That day has become much more special to me since my son came along 4 years ago.  Today I'd like to pay tribute to my own father, who I believe deserves much of the credit for my life-long pursuit of racing.  You see, he ran my first road race with me 38 years ago.  That one -mile race might have been my best shot at a world record, as I finished in under 20 minutes.  Not bad for a 2 year old.  And while I don't remember it, he swears I ran the whole way by myself - and we weren't last across the finish line.

Growing up in the 70's at the dawn of the running "boom", I remember going to road races with my father and watching him racing from the side of this road, and that road.  I remember some of the scenes of races that I ran myself as well.  In particular I remember running down a road through a forest with tall trees all around, but not much underbrush.  You could see down the road a ways, even though it was winding through the woods.  I still think of that race sometimes - it was such a peaceful run.  In my memory it was snowing, though I don't know if that's something I added as time has gone on - funny how memories work sometimes.

I recall numerous runs I'd go on with my father.  We lived on a street in Newtown, CT (yes - that Newtown) that was exactly 1 mile long.  He would head out on his runs, and then I would join him later for a lap.  Sometimes he would keep running after that, and sometimes he would finish with me. Other times we would run at the track.  It was there he said to me one day, "You don't always get the best improvements in your running by sprinting the end of every training run."  I literally thought about that particular advice last week for some reason.    Funny how memories work sometimes, indeed.

I haven't uttered that to my son yet, but I will at some point.  For my little guy right now it's more on the lines of "Sprinting at the start isn't always the fastest way to do your race."  He's fairly accomplished for a kid who just turned 4.  He's done 2 KiddieCross races (cyclocross bike races for little folk) and 3 running races.  He's very excited to do his first triathlon in Bend, OR in 2 weeks - the Splash, Pedal and Dash as part of the Pacific Crest Triathlon weekend festival.   I don't know that he will grow up to be a runner, a triathlete, a soccer player, or a couch potato.  What I do know is that because my Dad took the time to run with me while I was growing up, I was able to see how much fun it could be.  I still do (though for the record,  I like cycling more).  I do hope my son grows up to be half the man my Dad is - that would be a success in my mind.

Thank you , Dad.  I wouldn't be who I am today without you.  Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment