Friday, October 11, 2013

Show Time Approaches

The race starts tomorrow.  As of last night, my nerves have started to become a bit more on edge.  The "what if's" and the doubts have started to creep in.  I have found myself dolling out advice to others that I am continually now needing to practice - "the hay is in the barn" or "plan for the worst, hope for the best" or "have plan A, plan B, and plan C, and ways to recognize when to switch between them" or "you've accomplished the goal of getting here - now enjoy the experience."

I have enjoyed seeing some new sights on the island (sunset on top of Mauna Kea, with the horizon nearly 14,000 feet below), catching up with friends going as far back as high school (good to see you, Melanie) and making new ones as recently as a Dutch guy just 5 minutes ago (thanks for the use of your pump, Bart).  I was honored to participate in the Ironman Foundation panel at the race expo yesterday along with some other amazing fund-raisers.  I have enjoyed having family here in town.  But I was reminded by my wife that tomorrow is the entire reason for all the sacrifice made by family and friends across the past 13 months - training and racing in New Zealand in order to qualify for World Championships and and then all the training leading up to this race.

And that brings me to my thank you's.  Regardless of the outcome tomorrow, I can only begin to thank  my wife, Micha, for all her support this past year.  It has been tremendous.  And my son, Mattias, who generally continues to practice patience with his always-tired Papa (well, as much patience as a 4yr old can possess).  My parents, who have flown both to New Zealand and here to Hawaii to once again cheer me on from the sidelines like they did throughout my younger days in school.  To my friends who've both teased and supported (that's kind of the same thing, right?).  To the folks at Therapeutic Associates, Athlete's Lounge, and RestWise - you've all helped me achieve goals that even a year ago I wasn't sure were possible.

And to the many many folks who have made my dream of raising money for a first-of-its-kind study on athletes with Multiple Sclerosis (something obviously dear to my, well, brain).  Together we will put over $14,000 towards that project, and I will be the first voluntary subject! 

To all of you, Thank You.  I am humbled, and encouraged, and motivated. 

As for the race itself, it looks to be sunny, air temperature in the mid 80's on the coast (which means low 90's on the Queen K highway, and pavement temperatures approaching 120 degrees), and likely to be a headwind on the way home from Hawi (at about mile 60 of the 112 miles on the bike).  Humidity will run in the 68-70% range.  Not horrific, but sweat will certainly be running down the body more-so than evaporating off.   I am nervous for really only two things tomorrow - the heat, and the swim.  I have noticed that heat has really started to bother me more this past year, increasing fatigue, and exacerbating my prior symptoms.  There is even a difference between being in the shade vs being in the sun.  And little shade exists on the course tomorrow.  As for the swim, starting a race with 1800 people all at once, all of relatively equal ability, makes for a crowded swim at the World Championships.  In the triathlon world, the swim start commonly gets the nickname, "The Washing Machine" because of both the way it looks, and the way it feels.  Once again I will position myself far out to the side, hoping for less crowded water.  I hope to finish the 2.4 mile course in 65-68 minutes.  The 112 mile bike I hope to come in around 5 hours, though the winds here can easily add 15 minutes to that time.  And on the run, I would be jumping up and down (well, maybe raising my arms a little bit) with a 3:10.  All told, including transitions, I think my fitness is there for a 9:25.  On this course, that can easily balloon to a 10:25.  Only Madame Pele, the Goddess of the island of Hawai'i, knows for sure.  I do hope she is in a kind mood tomorrow.

So that is that.  My race number is 1277.  You can track my progress on www.ironman.com.  I am excited, nervous, and mostly just ready to get the show going out of the water and onto the road!  Thank you all for following.  I'll be sure to update next week on how things actually went!

Good Racing, and Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment